Baby Led Weaning Explained
Are you baby led weaning, puree, combo, or don’t know? 🥦🍠🥑🍌
There are two main approaches to starting solids: baby led weaning (BLW) and puree. There is a lot of confusion about what baby led weaning is, let's talk about it...
1. Your baby self- feeds, so instead of spoon- feeding your child, she is in charge of picking up the food or grabbing the spoon and getting it into her own mouth. From the start your baby has full control over if she eats and how much she eats.
2. Your baby eats what you eat (to an extent). This is one of the benefits of BLW as you aren't making different meals.
3. Your baby eats at the same time as everyone else. Modeling is so important for BLW. One of the ways your baby learns to eat is by watching you pick up the food, put it into your mouth, chew it and then swallow it.
If you go the baby led weaning route your child must be able (6 months +): .
1. to sit unassisted
2. have lost the tongue thrust reflex
3. need to be able to grasp and hold on to items
What questions do you have about BLW? And if your baby has passed this stage, which route did you choose?