I have a lot of people ask for my vegan bolognese recipe. 🥘 It is a little labor intensive, but I try to do it on Sunday and batch cook (I make a triple batch & freeze 2/3)
1 large yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
3 shallot cloves
3 large carrots 🥕
1 eggplant 🍆
1 bunch fresh garlic or green onions
1 bunch thyme, rosemary & some bay leaves 🍁
2 boxes of white button mushrooms
1 bag hen of the wood mushrooms 🍄
Veggie stock and 1/2 jar of @darkhorseorganic umami boullion or powder OR use @pacificfoods mushroom stock
1/3 cup of white wine 🍷
1 jar @jovialfoods crushed tomatoes 🍅
1 jar @jovialfoods bionature 🍅 paste
1/4 cup @bragglivefoods Nutritional yeast
*optional dried porchinni mushrooms 🍄
Salt and Pepper
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1. Preheat oven to 425 convection
2. Peel/dice yellow onion, garlic, shallots, carrots & fennel.
3. Dice zucchini/eggplant and put in oven on @ifyoucare_usa unbleached parchment paper for 10 Min.
4. Dice mushrooms 🍄(don’t wash w/ water. Take damp paper towel & wipe down)
5. Strip leaves of herbs and chop
6. Chop, then soak dried porchinnis in hot 💦water
7. Cover bottom of pan w/ olive oil (heaviest pot you have- I use at 18/10 triple ply stainless steal pot by @allclad ). Sauté onions, garlic, shallots, green onions, 🥕celery on medium low heat
8. Season with salt (to sweat it- steams veggies to help them cook & flavor the base)
9. Then add herbs.
10. Add jar of tomato paste
11. Add 1 cup of white wine (something you would drink)
12. Then add veggie stock with @darkhorseorganic boullion or @pacificmushroom stock.
13. Add crushed tomatoes
14. Lightly coat chopped mushrooms in EVOO, season generously with salt/pepper. And add to pot.
15. Add roasted eggplant and zucchini
16. Cover and simmer for 30 min. Stir often. Add water if too thick!