When your child says "I don't love you"
What happens when your child says I don’t like you or I don’t love you? First, do not take it personally. This is their way of regulating their emotions and letting you know that they are frustrated.
1) Acknowledge that they are upset.
2) Let them know that you will always love them.
3) Say it is my job to make sure you are safe, healthy and a good person. Typically everything will be handled by those three categories.
4) Allow your child to sit with their frustration. It is ok for your child to be frustrated and this teaches your child how to handle their emotions especially when you are not around.
5) Some children will want cuddles and some will not. You never want to punish your child when they are trying to regulate their emotions. You want to help guide them through it.